College gymnastics: LSU extends streak with win over Arkansas in season-opening dual meet
BATON ROUGE – In front of the largest crowd for a season opener in school history, the third-ranked LSU gymnastics team posted a score of 197.150 to defeat Arkansas, Friday night inside the Maravich Center.
The Tigers extended their season-opening win streak in dual meets to six and consecutive meets with a score of 197 to 24 meets. Junior Sarah Finnegan led the way for the squad with an outstanding all-around score of 39.650 for a new career high.
Overall, four freshmen earned six spots in the Tigers’ lineup. Twelve spots in the lineup also featured new gymnasts from the Super Six in April.
D-D on the Opening Win
“We had so many freshmen plugged in the lineup and doing an incredible job,” head coach D-D Breaux said. “This team scored a hard-fought 197. Tonight was a lot of hard work and determination from the beginning to the end. I tell them we don’t go backward, and they dug in when we got to floor and brought it home. They gave it all they had.”
Women's college gymnastics: Arizona State's Corinne Belkoff reflects on her studies abroad
Lexie Priessman Wins First Vault Title
Junior Lexie Priessman competed on vault for the first time in six meets and scored a career-high score of 9.90 to take home the title. Finnegan moved to the fifth spot of the lineup and scored a 9.875. In the first vault of her career, freshman Sarah Edwards scored a 9.825 and junior Julianna Cannamela also posted a 9.825 for the Tigers.
Tigers Post Second-Highest Bars Score in School History
The bars squad finished with a 49.600 in the second rotation to tie the second-highest score in school history. The Tigers hit four of six dismounts stuck cold. Freshman Sami Durante started things off with a 9.875 and senior Myia Hambrick tied her career high with a 9.925. Sophomore Ruby Harrold tied her career high with a 9.875 in the third spot. Sophomore Kennedi Edney, Priessman and Finnegan closed out the rotation with scores of 9.95, 9.90 and 9.95 respectively.
GALLERY | @LSUgym beats Arkansas 197.150 - 195.350 to open the season in front of a record crowd!— LSU Pix (@LSUpix) January 6, 2018
s by @ChrisParent, @GusStark187, @MGMPhotog, @ryanmccarble: https://t.co/BKygQyhVEr pic.twitter.com/TsCeIl7pqt
New Beam Anchor Closes Strong
Finnegan posted a 9.95 in the sixth spot to get the Tigers to a 49.050 on beam. Hambrick finished with a 9.85 in the second spot and in her first appearance on the event, freshman Christina Desiderio scored a 9.825.
Floor Pushes LSU to 197 Score
In just her second career appearance on floor, Ashlyn Kirby led the Tigers off with a 9.875. Edwards totaled a 9.825 for the lineup in the fourth spot. Finnegan posted a score of 9.90 in the fifth spot and Hambrick anchored the event with a 9.95 to tie her career high.
LSU travels for the first time this season when the squad takes on No. 2 Florida in Gainesville. The Gators and Tigers will meet at 6 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 12 in the O’Connell Center. The meet will be televised on SEC Network.
1) Lexie Priessman (LSU) 9.900
2) Sarah Finnegan (LSU) 9.875
3) Sydney McGlone (Arkansas) 9.850, Braie Speed (Arkansas) 9.850
5) Sarah Edwards (LSU) 9.825, Amanda Wellick (Arkansas) 9.825, Julianna Cannamela (LSU) 9.825
8) Erin Macadaeg (LSU) 9.750
9) Jessica Yamzon (Arkansas) 9.700
10) Kirby Rathjen (Arkansas) 9.675
11) Sarah Shaffer (Arkansas) 9.600
12) Myia Hambrick (LSU) 9.325
1) Kennedi Edney (LSU) 9.950, Sarah Finnegan (LSU) 9.950
3) Myia Hambrick (LSU) 9.925
4) Lexie Priessman (LSU) 9.900
5) Sami Durante (LSU) 9.875, Ruby Harrold (LSU) 9.875
7) Amanda Wellick (Arkansas) 9.850
8) Sydney Laird (Arkansas) 9.800
9) Braie Speed (Arkansas) 9.750
10) Jessica Yamzon (Arkansas) 9.675
11) Hailey Garner (Arkansas) 9.575
12) Sarah Shaffer (Arkansas) 8.400
1) Sarah Finnegan (LSU) 9.925
2) Sophia Carter (Arkansas) 9.900
3) Amanda Wellick (Arkansas) 9.875
4) Myia Hambrick (LSU) 9.850
5) Christina Desiderio (LSU) 9.825, Jessica Yamzon (Arkansas) 9.825, Sydney Laird (Arkansas) 9.825
8) Erin Macadaeg (LSU) 9.725, Michaela Burton (Arkansas) 9.725, Reagan Campbell (LSU) 9.725, Sarah Shaffer (Arkansas) 9.725
12) Julianna Cannamela (LSU) 9.000
1) Myia Hambrick (LSU) 9.950
2) Sarah Finnegan (LSU) 9.900
3) Ashlyn Kirby (LSU) 9.875
4) Michaela Burton (Arkansas) 9.825, Sarah Edwards (LSU) 9.825
6) Erin Macadaeg (LSU) 9.775
7) Jessica Yamzon (Arkansas) 9.750, Mia Bargiacchi (Arkansas) 9.750
9) Ruby Harrold (LSU) 9.725
10) Sarah Shaffer (Arkansas) 9.700
11) Sophia Carter (Arkansas) 9.625
12) Hailey Garner (Arkansas) 9.000
1) Sarah Finnegan (LSU) 39.650
2) Myia Hambrick (LSU) 39.050
3) Jessica Yamzon (Arkansas) 38.950
4) Sarah Shaffer (Arkansas) 37.425